The Point-of-Care Ultrasound (POCUS) Gastrointestinal Certificate
Point-of-Care Ultrasound can be used by physicians, advanced practice providers (e.g., physician assistants, nurse practitioners) and medical professionals who use POCUS for clinical evaluation or therapeutic decision making. The Gastrointestinal Clinical Certificate is appropriate for medical professionals whose scope of practice requires the evaluation of the digestive system, or the gastrointestinal (GI) tract, to identify Abscess, Appendicitis, and other common pathologies.
Why is using POCUS for the evaluation of the digestive system, or the gastrointestinal (GI) tract, important for you?
- Portable, allowing for real-time imaging and on-the spot interpretation.
- Less expensive than other imaging modalities.
- Highly accurate in experienced hands.
- No use of ionizing radiation.
- Potentially improved patient experience and satisfaction
Download the POCUS Gastrointestinal Certificate Guide for full details.
Pricing/Eligibility/How to Prepare
High value for your money:
$125 for the POCUS Fundamentals (Note: waived for professionals who have passed the Sonography Principles & Instrumentation – SPI – examination within the last 5 years, or who hold specific credentials offered by ARDMS® or APCA).
$150 for Gastrointestinal Certificate
Special packages and conditions for groups. Scholarships available for those in need. To learn more, write to POCUS@inteleos.org
The eligibility criteria for a POCUS Certification Academy Abdominal Trauma Clinical Certificate includes:
• Must be a health care professional in good standing and actively practicing in a relevant clinical area;
• Must have demonstrated Fundamental POCUS proficiency (by holding a POCUS Certification Academy Fundamentals Certificate or other specific credentials offered by ARDMS® or APCA)
• Must have performed and participated in the interpretation of 25 Gastrointestinal Point-of-Care Ultrasound cases within the last 2 (two) years.
In addition to your practice of POCUS, previous participants have used one of the following methods to prepare for the exams:
• Self-directed learning
• Residency or Fellowship
• On the job/Hands-on training
Content Outline/Program Outline
(1) Clinical Case Assessment
The Clinical Case-Based assessments were development using a standard template that has been customized for each content area. Clinical scenarios are presented to candidates in audio and/or video formats (with closed-captioning and written
scripts). Ultrasound media and assessment questions are presented at key points during the patient encounter. Questions are designed to assess the following domains (as appropriate for the selected clinical area):
• Familiarity with normal exploration paths
• Recognition of when patient condition or presentation requires deviations from the normal exploration paths
• Identification of regions or basic POCUS views described in consensus documents or protocols
Ability to recognize and identify various anatomical features in M-mode and 2D images
• Knowledge of common sonographic artifacts or measurements
• Ability to identify artifacts that may aid in diagnosis
• Recognition of sonographic patterns and their implications for diagnosis
(2) Peer Evaluation
When applying for Clinical Certificates, you will be asked to provide the names and email addresses of three clinicians with a clinical background in ultrasound who are familiar with your ability to obtain clinically-relevant content-specific Point-of-Care Ultrasound
images. The POCUS Certification Academy™ will contact some or all of these individuals to ask them to complete a short questionnaire regarding their impressions of your Point-of-Care Ultrasound abilities for the chosen clinical area. All evaluated domains weighs 16.7% respectively. Peer Evaluators may be asked about the following (as appropriate for the selected clinical area):
Ability to obtain images of diagnostic quality
Demonstrate proficient use of gain settings
Demonstrate appropriate use of depth setting and center the area of interest on the screen
85% WOULD RECOMMEND THE POCUS CERTIFICATION ACADEMY TO THEIR COLLEAGUES
“[The POCUS Program] is a good way to assess your knowledge and makes me proud to be a part of this community. ”